Skip to main content

That No One May Boast

"Strengthen the connectedness of our family."
"Prepare us for life in a new country."
"I feel unprepared!"
That was the flow of prayer last week. And not for the first time did I find myself worrying. Sometimes it's a gentle swell that nudges me back to Christ. I receive it as a reminder that says I am weak and I need Him (2 Cor 4:7). Other times it's not so gentle. It's more like a tidal wave that tries to overwhelm the truth of God's power and purpose.

THE LIES

The lies recede and the pillars of truth remain not bearing a single scratch. Lies are like that, they crash in with a force that we think will wipe everything out. In the end, they cannot even create one blemish upon the spotless face of truth. Children of God are anchored to that unshakeable truth. Truth from the enduring Words of Scripture.

THE PROCESS

The more I see the resilience of God's Word in my life, the more I am encouraged to study. This leads back to what started the worries in the first place, working for Wycliffe Bible Translators. Being part of the translation and distribution of the Word can bring insecurity, that same Word is what fights the insecurity, and I am all the more encouraged to help others have access to the enduring Word.

Last week, I read these words by Dr. R. C. Sproul. "The purpose of theology is not to tickle our intellects but to instruct us in the ways of God, so that we can grow up into maturity and fullness of obedience to Him." The weakness will ebb and flow, the insecurity will sometimes seem overwhelming, but by the pursuit of God and His Word truth will anchor and produce growth.

THE TRUTH

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 1 Corinthians 1:27-29